26 June 2007

Taking ownership of learning

It was the first day of school for my former students yesterday. It was also the first day of me having to work by myself from home. For both of us, it was taking a step out of the usual routine we've been having for the last four weeks of holidays.

I had a choice to make - to laze the whole day away, or make full use of it. I'm glad I did the latter by scheduling appointments for the rest of the week. I'm almost all booked up and I take it as a positive sign for me as I move on to my next endeavours in the field of education.

Each day for me these days is a day of learning. A learning that I take full ownership of. It's not easy as it takes resilience, discipline and foresight to see how one's efforts today will yield a better harvest for tomorrow. It's about foregoing immediate gratification for something more in the future.

And as I learn these days, I hope that my former students keep in mind what I've told them before I left school - that the learning is their own. It's not about who your teachers are, or how they teach. It's about how you want to choose to learn.

I've chosen to take ownership of my learning, and I hope my students do the same for themselves too.

No comments: