26 August 2007

Life is fragile

It is difficult dealing with death. And more so when you come so close to experiencing it.

I had a full day of meetings on Friday, one of which was at Holy Innocents' - the school I was formerly teaching at. I was just about to leave for the meeting when my brother informed me over msn that one of our students had passed away in an accident in the morning. I gathered his name, and though I hadn't taught him before, I vaguely knew who he was.

It was evident that both teachers and students were traumatised by the accident. It definitely came as a sudden shock for many. Groups of students were seen being counselled in different rooms. And though many didn't know him, all had a common heart of compassion.

The chapel became a room of solace as a group of students and teachers came together in prayer while others penned down their thoughts in a book placed in front of the altar.

It was an especially sad day for the school, and for each one of us, the accident made us reflect in our own way.

With the passing of my uncle just a week before, another death created a deeper impact on me. It made me realise how fragile life is. And that it can end anytime. It can get scary sometimes, thinking that you may leave this world with lots of things left undone, and lots of things left unsaid.

I reflected on my life. I am one who has lots on her plate. I live by the day but plan by the year and beyond. I want to experience as much as possible and learn as much as possible. My philosophy was - if life was so short, I should maximise it, and do all I can while on earth.

However, sometimes, this is done at the expense of other things - spending time with my loved ones for example. And when the calculations are done at the end of the day, it's hard to decide which is more valuable. Both matter to me just as much.

The passing on of someone always makes us value our lives much more. And I wish it doesn't have to be this way. That we will learn to treasure our life and that of others every day. That we will learn to live our lives to the fullest every day. That we will learn to forgive or tell that someone we love him or her. That we will thank the one above for giving us the gift of life. That we don't have to experience the death of someone to remind us that life is precious and fragile. And that we should treat it with love and care.

I said a prayer for the souls of Gabriel and my uncle as I knelt down in church today. They probably had a lot left undone before leaving us. But I pray that they may rest in peace in the love of our God up in heaven.

No comments: