03 April 2005

I'm learning too...

It's cliche I know, to say we learn every day. Even as a teacher, I find myself learning every day. I learn from my friends, from my brother, from fellow colleagues, from the newspapers and yes, even my students.

I am glad that despite my busy schedule, I have put aside some time to learn something new. I had intended to take this up last year, but the sudden back ache got me postponing it till never ever, until this time, I decided that it was about time I faced my fears and challenged myself. After all, there was a little incentive in going. My good friend, Priscilla said she wants to go on a trip with me after she gives birth.

And so, I've gone back to lessons, took my quiz and I don't really believe it but I'm actually reading my notes in preparation for my exams tomorrow. Though everyone tells me nobody has failed the exams before, I don't think I want to be the first. Tuesday onwards, I'd be going on my practical lessons, and this weekend, I'd be overseas bound on my first ever open water dive! Yes, I'm learning to dive.

Over the past two days, I've learnt about buoyancy, and what happens to you when you have too much oxygen and nitrogen in your body, why you have to ascent and descent slowly, what causes the bents, and cute hand signs for the different aqua life. It's amazing. Now, I understand why Pris got hooked to diving. I sure hope I can equalise when I get underwater so I can see the marine life that I've been observing only through the Discovery Channel so far!

This will be a challenge for me even more as I will be facing my phobia of the water.. no, I'm not really afraid of water. It's just that I panic when I can't catch my breath. I just decide to hold my breath, and if you dive, you know that that really isn't a very good idea cos your lungs may burst!

Learning diving brought me to realise something - I miss studying. I miss learning things in an educational institution. I miss discovering new things. Maybe sometimes, I get so bogged down with work, and marking and teaching, that I forget to sit back and take time to learn myself. My kids I teach will probably not understand the value of education, the joy of learning and discovering until one day, when they are old enough to work, will they then miss the joy of being a student. Mark my words. I know because I was in their shoes once.

Learn. It's about enriching your life with knowledge.

No comments: