27 April 2005

I'm sick

Yes, I've been hit by the flu bug, and what frustrates me is the fact that my kids are gonna have their exams next week, and I don't know if I've done enough to help them prepare for the exams. What's more, I have piles of marking which I left in school, so I can't even attempt to mark at home... not that I think I can considering I get drowsy with the medication...

My throat hurts, my nose is runny, I think I'm running a fever... But the doc only covered me with an MC for Tuesday, so I had to duly go for my course which I registered for with Jeannie today. I was battling with my eyelids the whole time during the course, trying not to let the effects of the medication get to me.

It was an interesting course or workshop should I say, about getting Singaporeans to read. Indeed, it was time well spent though I wished I had been more well. The effects of the cold air con did little to make me feel better, and so at the end of a long day, I feel more sick than how I felt on Tuesday... Bleah...

Nonetheless, the workshop inspired me and enlightened me personally in a few ways. There were two things that the trainer said that got me thinking. She was discussing about what she was thinking as she was reading the recommended book - she said, "It's funny how sometimes, we want to be alone, but it is during these times when we are alone, that we reflect and realise we need people around us."

The other thing she said was about reading. "How can we be good writers, if we can't be good readers?" It made me realise that my reading appetite is really small compared to other English teachers who are so passionate about the literary classics. I pale in comparison, and blush embarrasingly as others speak of classics like Lord Jim, Pride and Prejudice, the works of Emily Bronte, Jane Austen and the works. Maybe it's time for me to pick up some books like my kids?

It is indeed ironical that I tell my students to read, and yet I can hardly find time to read myself. Shouldn't I be walking my talk? And considering the fact that I love to write, I sure do read too little! What about my dream of becoming a travel writer one day? Shouldn't I be honing the necessary skills now?

Well, I don't know how a literature based syllabus for writing will go down with my school, but it's worth a try. I will have to speak to my HOD when I get back to school. I sure hope I'll be feeling better soon. There's just too much to do to be falling sick!

I'm out...!

No comments: