
In a large way, I'm glad I'm done with the O level English Oral Exams. This means that my afternoons are back in order for me to catch up with work and marking... Well, that was what I thought. But no. I am clearing up the backlog of my Sec 2 kids who have yet to sit for their oral exams. And so every afternoon, I see myself staying back again for another two hours or so clearing batches of students as they sit in front of me reading, talking about some picture and some topic I give them. It's tiring considering I start my exams without a lunch break immediately after my last lesson for the day.
And so, lunch these days are at 4pm if I am lucky.
I came across a second-hand bookshop over the weekend and was surprised to find a book written by a local, Enzo Liow, entitled "Why Teachers Quit?!" The first question I asked was "Is this book legal?" Ha.. typical civil servant in me. Out of curiosity, I asked the girl at the counter to let me take a look at the book. Flipping through, I saw familiar words such as HOD, Parents, Students, Marking.... Things we teachers face each day. The book costs $14.90. I thought it was a smart way for the author to make a quick buck. I thanked the girl at the counter. I told her I didn't need to spend $14.90 for all the things I already know.
I wonder how useful the book would have been for aspiring teachers, or for me when I decided to come into teaching. Hadn't I not known all these would be coming? I wonder how my NIE mates are coping. I wonder if they share the same sentiments as those found in the book.
On the other hand, others have written about the joys of teaching, the fulfilment and the rich experience in shaping others' lives. I've known of teachers who stick by their jobs regardless. What makes these stay and others go?
So, does it boil down to the individual, or is it a mixture of both the individual and the system he is made to be put in. Does he grow with the system or does he get trapped in it? Do we blame the individual or the system? What can and should be done?
No comments:
Post a Comment