Yes, my kids have been asking me why I haven't been to school lately. They have been asking why I have been on MC so often lately. And as much as I don't want to say much, I think I owe them an explanation - as well as caring colleagues who have been asking what happened to me.
Well, in short, I have been visiting the hospital lately for more checks, and Monday saw me going through a colonoscopy. From morning, I had to take some awful concoction that "prepared" my intestines for the procedure. In the coldness of the various operating rooms in the endoscopy ward at SGH, I was given a jab that saw me passing out so I was spared the discomfort of the whole procedure.
When I awoke, I was glad to find mum by my side, telling me that the doc said nothing seriously wrong was with me. He'd see me again in two weeks to follow up on further treatments if necessary. I couldn't remember when I was wheeled out, or when the procedure ended, or how I got down from the bed. All I remember was I was given a hot cup of Milo by the nurse and my stomach hurt like hell. The nurse promised me the pain would subside. Thankfully, by the time I reached home, it did.
I felt nauseous the next day, and decided that I needed a longer rest than I had anticipated. A big bruise surfaced below the plaster that covered the injection mark. The pain in my abdomen comes on and off - an acute pain that alternates between the left and right regions. I've lost my appetite for my usual sustenance, and I dread meal times. My stomach feels like it is in a mess. Well, at least I am glad it's not as bad as what the other doc thought it could have been - cancer.
So, thanks my kids for your care and concern. This is what happened. This is why Miss Chew has been absent. And she hopes she doesn't have to be absent for so many days for a while...
I must say, when I returned to school on Wednesday, I was touched by my form class, 3 Diligence. For some reason, they decided to clean the classroom til it sparkling clean.. well, almost. It was as if it was their way of welcoming me back. In a way, I missed them. Sometimes, I wished they were more motivated, more driven to want to do well. It saddens me to see some give up so easily. Where is that spirit of resilience? Where is the enthusiasm? Where is the drive, the spirit? Where is the power of their youth?!
If I ever want to see anything, I'd like to see them develop these qualities. I'd love to see them succeed and be so proud of themselves, of their achievements. I'd like them to reach the top and one day say to themselves - yes, I've made it.
This is my vision for you, my dear 3 Dil...
No comments:
Post a Comment