20 September 2005

The Private Doctor vs The Polyclinic

Alright. I've been hit by the bug again. This time with a throat infection, fever and runny nose.

This time, I decided to forgo the Civil Service benefit and go to a private doctor at the nearby White Sands instead of the polyclinic. My past experiences at the polyclinic were less than pleasant. Out of the many doctors I've seen there, only two showed human compassion. Others were forgettable or just plain unsympathetic. The last one I saw after my colonoscopy said that "my staff also go for the scope and they go back to work the next day." Then she had to add, "so what else is wrong with you?"

I guess that was the last straw, and so, this time I decided to trod down to White Sands, risk getting another unsympathetic doctor, and spending more money.

But I was glad I took that risk. The doctor was not only nice, he took time to know my medical history so he could treat me better. In the light of the Prime Minister's call for good service, I must say, this doctor is exemplary.

He sent me off with a dose of antibiotics, cough mixture and cold tablets and two days' MC so I could rest. "All that shouting you do as a teacher is not gonna help with your throat." He was empathetic, and that made the difference.

I thanked him as I left, telling him that I was glad I made the choice to visit him instead of the polyclinic. He understood what I meant. He said he was a doctor there before, and he didn't like the way he had to treat patients. All it took was three weeks for him to feel he had a better way to treat patients. He broke his bond and set up his own clinic. And he's happy now that he's making his patients happy with his personal touch.

Happy people make happy people. Now, that's what service is all about.

Which makes me wonder - happy teachers make happy students?

No comments: