I was going through with my Sec 3 Diligence class the notions of prefixes and suffixes to better help them with the vocabulary section of the comprehension paper as preparation for the coming end of year exam. I explained that prefixes and suffixes have defined meanings which give a hint to the meaning of the word.
For example, "auto" means "self" - so you have "auto+matic" or "auto+biography". As I went down the list with them, I asked my class to give me examples for the different prefixes and suffixes.
Here's a few examples of what they came up with -
"Pre-" (as in to come before) : Pretty, Prefect
"In-" (as in not) : Indian, Indonesia
"Bi-" (as in two) : Biology
Well, at least I know they knew how to find non-examples. Which to me meant they knew what the examples were. So there you have it. Learning has taken place.
It was a lesson that made me smile even after class, though. I guess they've learnt one of the Habits of Mind - Finding humour.
Way to go 3 Dil! Don't let me and more importantly, don't let yourselves down! Study hard!!
No comments:
Post a Comment