03 January 2006

First day at the new campus

It always feels nice to have new things, and so moving into the new campus is surely something I was looking forward to. The air-conditioned hall was a great welcome, so we didn't have to melt in the humidity during assembly and mass. But what I looked forward most to, was to see the familiar faces of my students.

I don't know how many of my former form class will be reading this, but I'd just like to share with them how I felt as I saw them entering the hall. It was a warm sense of familiarity, and like a mother hen, I felt responsible to look out for them. I felt a little sad that I was no longer their form teacher, and really, if I had been more prepared, I would have taken up the challenge. But I couldn't let my sentiments affect the fact that I feel they need and deserve a more experienced teacher for their graduating year. In the deepest of my hearts, I felt sad that I could no longer be as involved in their lives as I would have been if I had been teaching them.

I had to learn to let go as I looked away from my adopted godson. I wondered if he had studied hard during the holidays. And as I went down the row, I seem to have a little message in my head for each of them. I wondered if Michelle is copiing better after the holidays, and if Terence would stop playing and start bucking up in his studies. I wondered if Benson will prove himself of the potential he's worth, and if Clarissa will shine like the natural leader she is. I was happy to note that Yang Jun had been elected Chairman of the class and Chuan Lian the vice chairperson. It warmed my heart when she waved frantically at me as I left school. I wondered if they knew I'd miss them that much.

My new class was great. I've always enjoyed teaching Sec 2s. They are at this in-between age where nothing matters, but yet they want things to matter. They are asserting their identity, yet yearning for guidance. They are trying out things, and really, sometimes, it can get quite adorable observing them. I had fun with them, but it would have been better if all the games I had prepared for them worked. I can't wait to have more fun with them during English!

I hardly sat at my seat today as I shuttled from meeting to meeting after school. I hardly had lunch as I was determined to ensure that the idea I had proposed worked. Never had I expected that a little conversation with my P and VP would result in a shift of focus for the school. I had never thought that my idea would be bought, and it makes me even more determined to make it work for those who believed in me.

It's a new year, and I can feel a new me. I told my good friend today that I feel powerful this year. And I'm gonna make things happen. I'm determined I will.

And for starters... it's back to the drawing board for more planning!

Starfish... out!

No comments: