15 February 2006

Drumline

I hope my class appreciated the movie I screened at today's LCE lesson. I used it to teach the sec 2 cohort about managing their emotions, anger in particular. I taught them about how to respond to someone who's angry with us, and how to manage our anger. Cos at the end of it all, like they realised in the video, anger gets us nowhere.

Much like the band focused on their goal to win, they didn't let anything come in their way. It didn't matter that their rival crossed the line and drummed on their drums. It didn't matter that they continued to taunt them. They just had one thing on their mind - to win. And they did just that by managing their emotions well.

When we look at our lives, there are many a times when people did us wrong, and naturally, we'll feel angry. But like I had shared with my Sec 2s - we all have choices. We can decide what we want to do with this anger. We can use it for us, or against us. And so, many of my kids were surprised when I told them anger is neither good nor bad - it is what we do with it that makes it good or bad.

I'm naturally faced with circumstances that made me angry many a times. I could choose to fight or argue, I could choose to take revenge, or backstab. I could choose to spin tales and destroy the one that hurt me, but I could also choose not to. Because, I realise that at the end of it all, if I win, what do I win? What good does it do to me to see another suffer because of my doing? What good does it do if I have to resort to such underhand methods just to prove that I am right?

The band didn't have to resort to underhand methods, or cross the line to win. They stuck to their goal, managed their emotions, remained focused, and won at the end. And frankly, all of them are winners in their own right, for not only winning the competition, but their own battles of impulsivity. They won their own internal battle of emotions by learning to manage it well.

I hope my Sec 2s learn this lesson well, and keep their heads above their shoulders in good stead, regardless of the circumstances that may face them.

I hope you all enjoyed and learnt from Drumline as much as I did.

:)
starfish

No comments: