17 April 2006

I can't talk

My throat hurt so bad over the weekend, I decided to take the day off today to go see the doctor. After all, with such a bad throat, how can I teach?

I went to the doctor, who was shocked to see me again cos I just saw her last week for a throat infection again. She was concerned. Asked if I smoked. No I don't. Asked if I had a nasal problem. No I didn't lately. Asked if I had gastric. Yes, I did but it was a perennial problem. She told me maybe it was the gastric juices that went up to my throat.

She told me to let my voice rest. "Don't talk unless absolutely necessary."

"I'm a teacher."

"Oh no. That's an occupational hazard. I don't know what else you can do. Use a mic?"

"It doesn't work. The noise level gets too loud in some classes."

"You have to take a rest. That's the best for your throat. Take two days off. Don't talk. Don't go karaoke."

That was it.

So here I am, at home. Marking. I can't talk, but I thank God for msn. I never treasured it so much til now. Hopefully, by Wednesday, I can talk.

Be good in the meantime, kids.

:) starfish (aka haixing - as chuanlian tells me...)

No comments: