18 February 2007

Losing a writer...

Just received an email from one of my former students that made me a little sad and disappointed. I've lost one of my best writers for the Media Club. Reading through the email, which such punchy lines and nicely crafted words, I feel the pain even more as she rationalised that she felt that she wasn't growing as part of the club and hence her decision to resign from the club.

I guess it's not a time to point fingers right now, but she's found another platform to write for. I wonder if I will be losing more of my writers to that other platform since I know I have a few more writers crossing over to write there. Placing all my cards down, it seems a little unfair that I'm being slapped with this. I haven't had the chance to develop a full programme for the club and suddenly, I feel judged. I'm trying to work within my constraints, yet meeting higher order objectives and balancing the interest of the students. It's not an easy task, considering now I'm faced with another more exciting media spearheaded by someone else.

I saw overlaps right from day one and I suggested putting it all under the umbrella of the media club, but I guess it wasn't possible somehow. Maybe I was too slow. After all, it's the same pool of students we're tapping on.

And so, feeling a little defeated, I wonder about my next course of action. Afterall, I don't have much time. But looking on the brigher side, maybe it is a blessing. Now at least I know who to turn to for continuity of the club some time later.

What a start to day one of the year of the pig.

No comments: