03 March 2007

Falling Sick

This year has been a not so good year so far - healthwise. I find it hard to believe that within a span of two months, I've taken 10 days' medical leave. There seems to be a bad bug going about, especially in school and it's not making catching up with teaching any easier.

I came down with a fever last Friday. Left school early to head home to rest since I had a full weekend at SJI for a seminar on religious education. My Principal signed us all Catholic teachers up for it and made sure we went for it. I was feeling better though not entirely well on Saturday. The fever subsided but the throat was sore and the nose congested with thick mucus. I gulped down my medication for the nose and throat and headed down to SJI with my brother.

The air-conditioned lecture theatre didn't make my condition any better and so come Sunday, the fever came back on and the nose started to get runny. I decided not to go for the seminar and headed to the doctor instead. Slapped with a whole load of tablets and 2 days' medical leave, I did nothing but sleep and sleep and sleep.

I guess what I missed most was the opportunity to be there with my students during their Sec 2 camp and shout and scream together with them. When I was well enough to get back to school, they broke camp and news came that they emerged Best Class for the camp! Naturally, I was proud of them and when I met them at the canteen, it was heartwarming to see them in high spirits, filling the canteen with their cheers and spirit of camaradarie.

I came down with a sore and inflamed throat again on Wednesday night, and all I could do was to down the tablets that would bring down the swell. Occupational hazard. I'm glad that the holidays are coming so it gives me a break, hopefully to recuperate. I'm heading for New Delhi for a week during the break and I hope I don't fall ill then! It'd be the first time I'd be travelling alone and I'm crossing my fingers I come back in one piece! I joke with my friends that the guide bringing me around may find me an investment to be sold off for a handsome price!

One more week to that. I hope I survive in between.

No comments: