Tomorrow, I take the place of "the-new-teacher" in the class I'd be facilitating at RP. The previous facilitator left on short notice, so I come in as easy replacement.
It's not easy taking over a class. For one, the class has already formed their culture and habits. With you as the newbie coming in, you're in a position where you have to work harder to fit in.
On top of that, the pressure hits you harder when the previous teacher happens to be one that the students totally like. And I happen to be in that position.
Looking through the previous journal entries, it became apparent that the students really loved their previous facilitator - "awww man! I'll miss you!","come visit us!", "you're the best facilitator!".
Less than 24 hours before my first facilitation class at RP, I feel the pressure building up. Not only will I have to grapple with the new technology - uploading worksheets, marking attendance, keying in remarks etc all in a wireless and paperless environment, I will also have to remember all that I've been taught at PBL Foundation - AND try to fill in the shoes of the previous facilitator.
A part of me wished I had one of my former students in the class. A familiar face always helps calm nerves. But no luck. I checked the list. All fresh faces.
I take a deep breath and gather all the courage I have. Tomorrow, I intend to make a "starfish" difference. And I hope my new students be nice to calm my the-new-teacher jitters.
No comments:
Post a Comment