27 August 2004

School life...

I must say I enjoyed leading the prayers in the morning this week. It was a little nerve-wrecking initially, but come Friday, I felt like a pro already. Of course, each time before I started the prayer, I asked God to let his words flow through me. And many teachers have come up to me to say they like my prayers, they like my voice... they said it's very clear.. said I should be the announcer for the next sport's day! Two students came up to me today to tell me they like my voice over the mike cos I sound very sweet and have a sweet face to match too... Aww.. thanks... *blush*

Back to reality, I have about six piles of scripts to mark by tomorrow cos I've got to get the test marks out by today (yes, I'm late!). I should be at the teacher's day dinner now, but I'm not feeling too good - gastric again. Mum's not too well too, so that's two unwell people at home...

Apart from that, school has brought me more excitement as I begin to get my Sec 2 kids better. It reminds me of my days back in school eons ago. Yes, the troubles teens face these days are very much the same as the ones I faced back then. BGR and friendship problems rule. I remember, it seemed like the world was crashing down on me, suffering one unrequitted crush after another. But the world went on, as other problems in life surfaced.

Now, a new set of problems face me as I feel the burden of teaching getting heavier and heavier. Sometimes, I'm just afraid I don't know when to draw the line to say no cos I know myself - there's no limit to my giving.

In a way, I'm glad that Teacher's Day's next week - that's practically two days of no lesson, which in turn isn't all that good cos I'm losing lots of lessons, and I've got to think of ways to make up for the lessons without getting my students to stay back. Anyhow, I'm glad that next term's lesson plans are pretty simple - just drilling the kids with comprehension and composition til they get it right.

Which brings me to a reflection of the PM's ND Rally speech - We should learn to teach our students less so that they will learn more. A powerful line which means lots of things - should we as teachers teach less to allow students to explore more? Or is it a case of less content knowledge at the end of the day?

Sometimes, I just wish schools could do away with formal exams. I showed my Sec 1 kids the musical Annie today. I've never seen a bunch of kids so attentive before as Annie belted out her songs in the orphanage. As I ended the lesson, the kids begged me to let them see the whole show, while some girls decided to make up their own songs as if they were acting in a musical. When I walked back to class, I was wondering - if only they had a subject like film criticism.

My Sec 3 Hope class I taught during practicum invited me for their class BBQ. The invitation came complete with a nicely printed invitation card (although with grammatical errors) and even a map! The name card of the liaison person was clipped onto the map, and the kid that used to sleep at the corner of the lab was bursting with enthusiasm as he told me that transport has also been arranged to the chalet! He had it all planned.

I was impressed. And it got me thinking... if only there was a subject on event management, this guy will get an A! I mean, if you think about it, if I throw him out into the world right now, he'll definitely do well! Now, what are we training our kids for? For the real world? Or the academic world?

All these things make me wonder if there can be an alternative form of education. A strong conviction in me believes that there is more to life than books. Ironical, ain't it, coming from a teacher?

I guess that's why, at the end of the day, I believe that every student has his or her potential one way or another. Instead of moulding them into fixed rigid moulds of the current system, why can't we mould them to what they should be - unique individuals to blossom they way they should?

There I go being philosophical again...

Oh well, I shall leave you with Tuesday's prayer as I return to my piles of marking. I AM ambitious to want to complete it all by tonight with this aching stomach, but I shall give it my best shot!

Here's Tuesday's prayer...

Yesterday, we learnt about GRATITUDE, about being thankful for the "ocean" of opportunities that God has given us. Today, I'd like to share with you a poem on FORGIVENESS.

When Jesus died upon the cross,
It was for gain, not our loss.
Crucified for what others had done,
God gave us His only Son.

We are often hurt by others, too,
And it's up to us on what we do.
Don't hang on, not one more day.
Let God take all your hurt away.

Don't be bitter, but be a better soul.
Don't let resentment take its toll.
Satan wants you hurting, for it's his way.
Free yourself from his bondage today.

If you truly do want to live,
Think of someone that you must forgive.
Is it parents, ex-spouse, children, a friend?
Forgive them today, and the pain will end.

Don't drag around a ball and chain.
Rid yourself of needless pain.
To be like Christ, it must be done.
Isn't it time that you forgive someone?

Let us reflect on this poem.

We all have been hurt before one way or another - be it by our friends, parents, or teachers. We get angry, and it spoils our mood. We hold the anger in our hearts and it disrupts our lives.

Today, this poem reminds us that we have a choice of how we can deal with this hurt. If we choose to dwell on it, the only person who will feel angry is ourselves. IF we choose to forgive and move on instead, then we have just rid ourselves of needless pain.

Let us pray

Dear God

You gave us your son to die on the cross for our sins. He did nothing wrong yet he forgave those who tormented him. Give us the grace to be like Jesus, to forgive those who have hurt us knowingly or unknowingly. Help us to let go of our past hurts, and appreciate the present life that you have given us.

Bless us all with your love as we say the Lord's prayer...

No comments: