I celebrated the New Year outside for once. I really didn't know that the town could be so crowded near midnight! We didn't want to squeeze with the Marina Bay crowd so we headed towards Clarke Quay instead. I grabbed half-priced donuts at Pregos and happily brought it along with me to meet up with the rest of the gang. We had a bottle of champagne with us too!
Armed with two big boxes of sparklers, my friends and I twirled the sticks round and round as they sparked away at the stroke of midnight with the booming of the fireworks in the background. Our sparkle sticks were nothing compared to the grand fireworks but we had fun nevertheless.
The light drizzle failed to dampen our mood and soon the clouds gave way to clear skies. We watched as the nearby flyers of remote-controlled kites lit the skies with their UFO-looking kites. It was truly a sight to behold and for a moment, they stole the limelight away from the fireworks in the background.
Soon enough, the holidays ended and school began. I greeted my new form class with apprehension. My colleagues tell me they are a fine bunch, and I tried not to have any expectations of them. After all, they could change over the holidays.
I've always enjoyed teaching Sec 2s. They are at their age of growing up and it's the best time to instil values in them in the light of character development. I made it a point to discipline and set good habits such that it becomes almost natural for them when they move on to the upper secondary level. I wish my girls will grow up to be ladies, and my boys grow up to be gentlemen. The environment may not be there sometimes to develop them to be so, and so I've tasked myself with the responsibility that those under my charge, especially turn out to be so.
My Sec 2 Charity class is much more expressive than my Sec 2 Unity class. But each class has its own strengths and character and though my preference is for a more responsive class, sometimes, I do appreciate the attention and quietness the less expressive class gives, so it won't take a toll on my throat. Honestly, it's been just this week teaching and my throat is already sore, breaking out in ulcers. I don't know how to survive the odd weeks since I'd have 4 additional periods to teach, not to mention both are Sec 1 NA classes - and teaching a non-academic subject! God bless me!
I celebrated Justin's birthday with my former Sec 2 Unity 2005 class. It's heartening to realise that they've grown up to be fine young people.. And I thought it was just a while ago I was teaching them in Sec 1!! How they have changed! And.. er.. how I have aged! :P
It's just been two weeks.. I wonder what the rest of 2007 has to bring for me...
No comments:
Post a Comment