I'm beginning to feel what every parent feel when exams are near. Over the weekend, I was suddenly struck with a panic attack, wondering what I can do and how best to make my students improve on their English within two weeks. Suddenly, the clock seem to be ticking louder than usual!
It's 1.15am in the wee hours of the morning, and though I must be up again for school in less than 4 hours, I'm wide awake. I have just finished typing out notes for my kids on composition and comprehension skills. I hope that these will help them deal with the questions. I cannot but emphasise the importance of reading.
I think kids have it better these days as skills are explicitly taught to them on how to deal with the comprehension and composition exams. During my time, all the teacher did was to give us topics to practise on, and that was all we did. I never did understand how to tackle a comprehension passage until I entered NIE. Yes, I went through the compre section of the GP paper quite blindly. There wasn't much thought involved, simply because nobody taught us how to deal with the questions or what to look out for. Now I know better!
My drama kids asked me why I didn't teach Literature. Frankly, I'd love to. I guess I never did quite appreciate Lit until JC when I was doing Practical Criticism. Now, that's what I call a paper that encourages critical thinking. Until today, I find that every person I know who has done PC has the ability to think critically and are mostly creative. Now, that is what I call real education.
As I journey on my teaching career, I begin to wonder if we can really do away with formal curriculum, and exams. I am beginning to think if I should shout for a revolution and create an alternative form of education? I am beginning to think I am surely a non-conformist in the civil service. Now, is that a paradox or what?
Just a thought to ponder on before I hit the sack. It's about time. I need to be up at 5am. Good nite!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment