16 September 2004

Invigilating

Yesterday afternoon, I was told that I'd be invigilating today. Once again, I will miss teaching my kids.

As I sat in the cold computer lab this morning from 7.30am to 11.30am, I began to miss teaching my kids, especially my Sec 2 kids. Though I was in the lab, my mind was thinking about them, wondering if they were doing what I had set them out to do - an exercise on Newspaper Report writing. It's going to come out for the exams so I hope they will learn it well and get the hang of things.

Time seems to fly this semester and I hope they feel the same urgency as I do that there is not much time left to study. Half of me just want to drill them on comprehension and composition work, but looking at the piling piles of marking to do, I have second thoughts. I wonder if there can be a better way to do this.

The countdown begins. Come 1 October, they will sit for their English paper. For me, it's a countdown too. I'm counting down til the holidays where I can rejuvenate and recharge so that I will be more ready for next year. I wonder which classes I'd be allocated then....

As for now, I will just return to my marking. There's too much to be done in too little time. Later on, I'm giving my Sec 1 kids remedial...

Apart from teaching, I'm glad that I was able to speak to a fellow teacher yesterday. It was by chance that we engaged in a conversation that saw me getting know more about him. Well, you know who you are (if you are ever reading this), we all go through our own journeys in life. Some get it harder than others. But it's a path we all must take to mould us and make us a better person, the person we ought to be. I have learnt that there are no failures in life, just lessons to be learnt. And lessons are brought to you in life through various modes and medium over and over again until you finally learn it.

It takes time, but one day, I know you would have learnt the lesson of learning to let go, learning to forgive, and learning to accept yourself the way you are. Don't be so hard on yourself because I know you have been blessed with talents that not many take note of. When times bring you down, look at your little gifts and talents, and celebrate your achievements in them. You'd get by. You're not the worse. Nobody is.

As for my other friend who dropped me an email - yes, I look forward to the day when I'll see you all grown up, confident, professional and standing tall with pride, leading in whatever you do. Cast aside your feelings of inferiority and know that you can be who you want to be. Remember, you're not struggling - you're pushing hard towards your goal! :)

Thanks again, Uncle J for your perspective of things. I never did realise the real essence of giving until you pointed it out. Yes, giving is giving and not expecting anything in return.

How many of us can truly say we give?

No comments: