10 January 2004

Back from Sydney!

I am finally back, and based on the feedback I am getting, I think all of you have been visiting my blog daily, awaiting news on how the trip went. Well, for starters, I fell sick during the trip, so it made it less enjoyable. It didn't help that the Aussie dollar became stronger against all currencies as the days progressed, so it made everything there less attractive to buy.

I did learn a few things on the trip though, so not all is wasted. And I did manage to climb the Sydney harbour bridge - yes, we made it to the top! Hunter Valley was perfect - the cottage which we stayed in was magical - just as we saw it on the web. I made sure I had a good nice long warm soak in the bath tub - truly heavenly!

Grace and I were proud of ourselves for finding our way to Hunter Valley and back to Sydney city centre without much hiccups. The drive took us about two hours plus each way, with Grace behind the wheel and me with three different maps to figure out which road to take. It was really an eye-opening experience!

I fell sick when I reached Sydney city after the two nights at Hunter Valley. The throat was sore, and that made me avoid all kinds of heaty food, and downing lots of juices instead - which were cheaper than bottled water! So, it wasn't that fun cos I couldn't eat all the "chow-tah" food I loved... and chocolates... and chips... :( I even broke out with fever, used up all the medication I bought, and did all I could to recover, but to no avail. Even on the flight back to Singapore, I was sniffing and sneezing. Medication in Sydney was expensive, so I refused to contribute further to their economy. And so I suffered...

This was probably the only trip I've taken (disregarding all the unenjoyable trips to the country north of us) that made me really miss Singapore. My eyes filled with tears as I looked out of the window on the plane and saw the millions of lights dotting the Singapore skyline. I felt "this is HOME". And so I started taking stock of the things in Singapore I've taken for granted and missed...

1. That I could drink tap water and it tastes good - yes, even if it's mixed with NEW water.
2. That I didn't have to multiply everything by 1.3 to know how much something costs.
3. That chicken costs half the price here.
4. That Fuji apples here are twice as big and half as cheap.
5. That fresh broccoli here is cheaper and nicer.
6. That I could tap my EZ link card
7. That transportation here is much cheaper.
8. That medication here is really really more affordable.
9. That we have nicer TV shows.
10. That we have nicer fireworks.

I really really missed things such as..

1. Soya Bean Milk - and I don't mean the Yeos packet drink kind that the island down under sells at $3.50 for a six-pack!
2. Cheap food
3. Green Tea!
4. MEAT - cos it was so expensive there!

Suddenly, when I was there, I felt all so patriotic to my country. Maybe it was the civil servant in me shining. I felt so grateful for our government for making Singapore it is today. I felt so proud to be a Singaporean! In my head, I was singing the national anthem, I was reciting the pledge, I was singing all kinds of national day songs. It was as if the all the red t-shirts I brought along with me were testimony to my allegiance to my country. I AM SINGAPOREAN!

I am sorry Grace that I was harping almost throughout the trip that I miss Singapore. I hope you don't take it personally. It's not you. It's really the things I miss in Singapore...

Before I left for Sydney, I told myself that I would enjoy this trip as much as I could before I embark on the stressful teaching career. I came back disheartened. I didn't enjoy it as much I would like to (like I did in Hawaii). I didn't meet some hunk, fall in love, inherit a vineyard, nor did I bask in the sun at the all so famous Bondi beach. Nor did I get cheap buys not to be found in Singapore, nor did I come back radiant with a pink glow on my cheeks. Instead, I came back with over-ripe mangoes, almost melted chocolates, and 5kg of cherries for my mum. On top of that, I inherited the Sydney flu, and transformed into an insensitive monster for my travel partner. I came back in a total wreck - a mess.

And now as I gather and look back of all that I've experienced, I am thankful for Sydney - for showing me the things I have taken for granted, for letting me love Singapore more, and most of all, to show me how insensitive and awful I can be at times. I was speaking to Pamela and she told me "When something is bothering you, why don't you deal with it there and there. Just say it." I thought through it, and think - she's right. I think I'd make the trip more enjoyable if I had spoken and said it out, instead of wearing my emotions on my sleeve, and let others do the guessing.

I think I have lots to learn. I still feel that I am in a mess right now. But I know - the new year has begun. It is symbolic of a fresh start for me. Slowly but surely, I know I will figure all these things out.

To Grace - I am sorry the trip was not as good as it should be. If the clock could be turned back, I'm sure I'd do things differently.

Thanks for Sydney... Thanks for Singapore...

No comments: