I would love to blog more than I do now, but time is a factor to consider. And considering matters in order of priority, blogging unfortunately doesn't come in top on the list now. But once a love, always a love. And I can't deny my love for writing, or expressing my views and thoughts for that matter! An opinionated lady indeed! :)
Some of the students from my form class annoyed me today - talking when I was explaining how they could better improve on their compositions. Perhaps, I wouldn't be half as mad if there were just one or two particular students I could pick out. Glancing across the classroom, I realised almost half the class were engaged in their little conference sessions. I felt exasperated as I tried to raise my voice to counter theirs. As we all teachers now know - that doesn't work. Silence begets silence. Soon I got their attention, but I would rather have a fun-filled lesson without scolding any one of my kids. But I had to.
Frankly, I thank the good one above for blessing me with these kids that brighten up my life on some days. It's indeed ironical and almost paradoxical that the very same kids that make me angry are the ones that make me smile, and laugh - and realise that my journey is worth every single step.
Yesterday, a friend of mine gave me a starfish carved out of stone. It was beautiful. Very intricate. It came accompanied with a card with a starfish on it. It seems I have begun to be stuck with the starfish icon, thanks to my dear brother! But I don't really mind. Being a starfish is a contant reminder to me to stretch out as far as my five hands (right?) can handle. It also reminds me of the starfish story all we teachers know - that it's OK if we don't throw all the starfish back at sea all at once. As long as we continue doing it, we ARE making that difference. The shape of the starfish also reminds me that I am in a position to be guiding star to lead and guide - to motivate and inspire.
My brother once wrote in a card to me that I am the light of the family, always brightening people's lives. I never really did notice that, but I'd like to live up to that expectation, and spread the light not only to my family, but to all I am in touch with as well - and yes, that includes all my students.
That's a little too much light needed to be spread among so many people, you may say. Yes, I do admit that on some days, the light grows dim, and energies are low. But I have learnt to pick myself up, and spend some quite time alone with Big guy above to rejuvenate, and re-energize. And of course, synergy with friends help too! Thanks, Wendy for always listening to all my stories... Maybe you should start writing a book! :)
My eyes are hardly open with only an hour of sleep, having stayed up late last night on a design project that kept me going, I didn't realise it was so late! (or early!) My mum was worried for me and urged me to drink up a bottle of chicken essence before leaving for school.. (NAH!). Just stole three chocolate chip cookies from my fellow teacher - now that's what I call food! Haa... the chocoholic in me has set in - I really need to get back to therapy. Anyone knows when the next meeting of chocoholic anonymous will take place? :P
Alright, I'd better get back to more marking now. I've been "loafing" for half an hour typing this blog! To my students who have been visiting my blog - thanks for dropping by and leaving your little notes. I truly appreciate them... Keep coming back! :)
Starfish.. out!
No comments:
Post a Comment