24 July 2004

Occupation Hazard

Ever since I started my journey as a full-fledged teacher, I have realised the side-effects of being one. Occupation hazard, you may call it. Before long, I realised I could compile a list of....
 
"Top Ten Signs You Know You Are a Teacher"
1. You can't seem to find any other coloured pens except red.
2. The other crucial stationery you can find is the whiteboard marker.
3. You know what a Risograph machine is.
4. You become an expert with acronyms.
5. The P and the VP are common terms to you.
6. You begin to correct your friend's English.
7. You look for grammatical errors in everything you read.
8. When you hear "Cher", you know it's not about the singer.
9. You carry a stack of marking to do wherever you go.
10. You hate the word "CONTACT TIME"!
 
I'm sure there's much more, and I'll come to it as the days go by. Feel free to log your contributions into the comments link or the chatter box. I'd love to compile a whole listing of it, and maybe publish it as a book! :)
 
Hope my NIE mates are hanging in there well... Now as I see NIE trainees in my school, I think to myself - wasn't it just a while ago I was in their shoes. Now, we're teachers. Qualified teachers. And although teaching may bring its fare share of stress, anxieties, frustrations and lots of hard work, at the end of the day, I think it's a fulfilling path that we all have chosen to journey in. And since we have chosen to walk this path, let's do it well, come what may.
 
Perhaps, it wasn't as we have envisioned when we signed on that dotted line to commit three years of our lives moulding the next generation. Perhaps we have realised that it isn't a bed of roses. Perhaps we have been discouraged, or disillusioned, or things are not working out as well as we have planned. But ultimately, we have a choice - a choice to look at things positively or negatively. Begin to ask ourselves - what can we do with what we have, rather than what I could do if I have.   
 
I have with me a pool of young minds who need guidance of a strong leader, a role model as they go through their journeys in life. We are in that position to be that guiding light, that role model. We are in that position to create a difference in their lives. In a large way, our position as teachers have empowered us to a degree we may not even realise. Rise up to the occasion, and realise the lifelong effects we have on the kids we teach. What do we want them to learn? If they are strong academically already, then how well can we further develop other intelligences? Or how can we tap onto the multiple intelligences of each child? Is it all about academics? Or is moulding of a child's character more important?
 
My school had the first night of their annual concert last night. After weeks and consecutive days of training, we have finally seen the fruits of our labour. And as I was stationed backstage to cue my drama club kids throughout the night, I realised that the very students who are restless and disinterested in the academics are the very ones being the stage hands and handling the AV logistics. It dawned on me that I shouldn't judge every student based on the yardstick the academic system has created. Maybe it's time to create a new yardstick?
 
Think about what you can do to make that difference....


No comments: