Wasn't it just a few days back that we beginning teachers (BTs, as we are now fondly called) were a little nervous starting out in our own respective schools as full-fledged teachers? And now, one week has passed.
A week ago, my desk was empty, almost a barren land. It was so bare I began to panic and bring in as much things as I could. I called Wendy up for fresh stationery supplies, and spent another $50 on yet more stationery... and no, I haven't got it all as yet!
But today, as I looked at my desk, I began to feel that yes, I AM a teacher. I have four stacks of books to mark. That's 160 books in total. That, plus two piles of worksheets. And what about the lesson plans and materials for the upcoming week? A little overwhelming, I must say... but yet, I think I am enjoying what I'm doing.
I'm very very strict with my Sec 1 and 2 classes, and in a way, I have begun to own them. I see the earnest look in their eyes, and I feel like I want to protect each and every one of them, to make sure that they do well in their studies and away from bad company. In the depths of my heart, I say a prayer for each one of them. I look forward to the day the graduate from the school and look back and realise that they've accomplished so much...
Yesterday was the second time in my life someone likened me to a guardian angel. I'm flattered, but in a shy way. But I am glad that I've used this gift that God has given me - the gift of giving and protecting those around me, especially those that I care and love - to enrich the lives of my friends and students.
But sometimes, it does get draining, and once in a while, I ask if there's a guardian angel out there for me too? But at the end of the day, I look at the BIG one above, and see all the blessings he's given me, and I realise that maybe, I've got the best guardian angel around? And for that, I should be thankful...
As I walk through this journey, I don't know for sure what lies ahead. But I treasure every step that I take, and relish the moment. For every step is a learning experience, whether it be joy or sadness. For this moment only comes once. And for me to experience it, I should be the one feeling special.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment