09 July 2004

A marathon day...

Every week, I have mixed feelings each time Friday approaches. On one hand, it marks the end of the week, on the other hand, it's the heaviest day for me with eight periods and only an hour break in between. And now as I end the day, I feel happy. I have piles of books and papers on my desk, waiting to be red-inked. It's gonna be a cycle of marking all over again - didn't I just return the books to the kids? And now I still have more to mark?

Well, it's all part and parcel of teaching. I take it all in my stride. I have to plan for new lessons and come up with new material. I feel tired at the end of the day as I leave the school at 6pm each day, only because the nice auntie nudges me nicely "Teacher, I want to go home...". And I guiltily grab all I need to continue with my work at home. And the work continues long after 6pm outside of school...

Sleepy and dizzy-eyed, I pluck myself out of bed each day. I have hardly had enough sleep, but I feel the drive in rushing the school each day. I challenge myself to get to school earlier and earlier each day. I don't know why.. Maybe it's cos I like my new desk, and find solitude in the silence of the staff room before the crowd comes in.

Did I mention I've got my brand new Toshiba lap top too? All linked up to the LAN - so I can print, surf the net, blog and do my work right in the comforts of my new desk :). And now, I've begun to bring my CD collection so I can play music on my laptop while doing my work.

Have to be in school tomorrow cos there's Drama Club rehearsal. I'm glad I've begun to connect with them.. How I wish they'll be more committed to come for practices more often. Have been spending lots of time with them.. yesterday, we had rehearsals til 5.30pm!

The one thing that touched my heart today... One trainee teacher told me that the Maths Dept had a meeting yesterday and my name was mentioned. They mentioned that the Sec 3 class that sucked the blood out of me during the practicum actually went to the Principal to beg her that I teach them again, because they felt I was the only teacher that believed in them... I am touched. Today, I realised, my efforts were not in vain. It teaches me - never give up no matter what. It takes time, blood, tears and sweat. But someday, we may just be able to throw all the starfish back into the sea! Idealistic, you may say, but I know, I'm gonna live my dream one day! You can live your dream too!

:)
deb

No comments: