14 November 2004

Poetic mood again...

I couldn't get to sleep last night. Somehow, pen and paper came into view and at 3am, the following poem was born... It reminded me of my JC days when I took up Literature. The works of Andrew Marvell... I really loved Practical Criticism cos we didn't have to study for it. Just analyse and criticise. How much easier can that get? :)

Anyhow, I used to write poems with Priscilla back in secondary school days and we promised each other that we'd compile a book of poems. We had the idea shelved along the way when we both became busy with our own lives. Somehow, we dug out our poems one day, and it got me writing since. Maybe, just maybe, a book of poems may materialise one day...

This poem is about love, about the voice of the heart speaking to another. When I was crafting this poem out, I had at the back of my head a story of romance, a war of emotions, tugging at two hearts, both feeling somewhat different. One loves and the other's afraid. But although different, they are somehow tied together by the sameness of a tension within themselves in deciding whether to give in or give up eventually. Finally, one heart speaks to another. Here is their story...

MY HEART TO YOU

Sometimes, I only wish I had all the words to say
How the heart feels; why it feels this way
I've never felt like this before
I don't know the future, don't know what's in store.

You tell me to give up, and to leave
This may be a fleeting moment, something too brief
You don't know what the future will hold
Neither do I; I just may be left lonely and cold.

But what I have in my heart keeps me strong
It keeps me going, it keeps me warm
Through sleepless nights just thinking of you
Wishing that one day, my dream will come true.

And whilst I take the risk that that day I may never find
I cling on to that picture I have in my mind
The day when your heart will give in to mine
That you'd love me like I did you all these time

And even if it takes eternity for you to feel this way
I'd wait and be glad enough to know that you will never stray
I'd travel the world with you and be your best friend
I'd walk with you through life's road, I'd hold your hand
I'd trace your footsteps and back you up should you fall
I'd go before you and be your shining star through it all.

For I've had my mind made up to love you true and through
Right from the very day I set my eyes on you
Call it chance or even an inkling of fate
I'd call it a meeting of souls none other can dictate

For who's to know what is to come
Beneath the skies of the setting sun
Shades of blue and hues of autumn red
Feelings of love were never meant to make you afraid

So slowly and gently I'd take your hand
I hear the voice of your heart, I understand
You don't have to explain, nor feel the way I do
Just follow your heart to guide and lead you

Take your time and find your pace
In this labyrinth of emotional space
Time waits for no other but for a love that's true
Words coming from my heart to you.

Deborah Anne Chew

No comments: