19 November 2004

Starting the day right...

It's been a ritual ever since I felt right about it. At around this time every year, I'd start the day with Mass. The big guy above gets the first and best part of the day. It's about starting the day right, I feel. It's about starting the year right. It's thanking Him for all that I've been blessed with and a humble plea to give me strength, patience and grace as I journey on through life.

In silent serenity with the sounds of hymns and familiar prayers in the background, I am reminded that no matter what, I always have a save haven. I always have someone who will love me unconditionally and be there for me when I am tired. I am reminded that I AM blessed.

I begin to see my role in life as a guide. I am beginning to feel that God put me in the position that I am in for a reason. I remember my brother calling me "light of everyone's life". He said I brighten up people's lives and now, I also see myself also as a light to guide.

The starfish story has now been associated with me. Now, everyone associates me with the starfish. Thanks to my brother, who gave me that nickname cos he thought I was like Peach the Starfish in Finding Nemo - always looking out and reporting the latest happenings (in short, a kay-po!). But the moniker has since been stuck to me in more ways than one. And the more I learn about the starfish, the more I feel that yes, indeed, I am like the starfish.

I wear the starfish pendant my friend gave to me almost everyday to remind me of all the ways I am like the starfish, and of course about the starfish story... that I don't have to create a big impact to make a difference. Little by little, in my own small way, I can also make a difference.

Yesterday, a bunch of friends wrote me a card, penning down their words of appreciation and good wishes. It touched my heart. For all the things I did, I never thought I was throwing starfishes in the sea, but in fact I was. And I'm glad. Mum read the card and I could see her beaming with pride. She didn't say it, but I knew she was beginning to see the fruits of my labour. Thanks, mum for loving me and believing in me...

Somehow, I feel things will get better for this year. Yes, I feel it. :)

No comments: