The platform in my room is no longer a bed for me to laze on. It is lined with pretty wedding booklets and place cards, all adorned with olive green ribbons and cinnamon sticks. I laid them all out nicely, like paddy on a field. Thanks to Wendy who came by yesterday to tie the remaining ribbons while I busied myself with perfecting each and every booklet and place card. Bending down to tie them all was back-breaking, but at the end of it all, it was all worth it. I can't help but smile and feel a sense of accomplishment and shy pride each time I walk into my room. It's finally all done - except for putting a score line on each place card so it'll be easier to fold later.
My eyes are beginning to be surrounded by a shadow of grey. Little saggy pouches sit comofortable below my eyes. As I juggle cleaning the house, preparing for Christmas, perfecting Pris and Roy's wedding, meeting up with old friends and now doing the arrangements for my mum's return, I feel tired - very tired. The lack of sleep makes my body ache and weak. All I want to do is to lie down for a whole day in a soft, white comfortable bed, listening to the sounds of Steve Tyrell. But I can't. Each time I try to catch 40 winks, the adrenalin rush in me stops me from falling asleep. A million thoughts go through my head as I mentally go through a list of things I should be doing. Before I know it, I'm up again, doing things. The body is tired, but the mind is not!
I hope I will have a good break at Sydney. Half the time, or rather most of the time, I forget I'd be going there! There's just so many things to do that the trip seems to be the last thing on my mind. As I type, I remember that I've got Spanish classes next Monday... And I have yet to send out to my salsa classmates the list of emails and addresses I've compiled. We're supposed to go somewhere sometime to practise our steps.. Oh no.. think I forgot them all!
My mum called this morning. She sounded a whole lot better. Apparently, she talked her way out by a white lie to come back to Singapore early. Guess she really miss home, and wanted to come back badly. It makes me wonder... if I go overseas to study, will I miss home? Hmmm..
And so, in preparation of my mum's return tomorrow late at night, I have yet another long list of things to do before she gets back. Cleaning the house is at the top of the list.. ironing clothes, doing the laundry... and the list goes on. My brother said we should be using as much soft toilet paper as possible cos when mum gets back, she'll change it to the cheaper rough one... I said don't worry.. I bought 18 rolls of it. We can still use it when she gets back!
My brother is in a cheery mood. He comes up with all kinds of corny jokes and harmless insults on what to do with mum when she gets back.. "How about we leave all the housework to her?" he asked.. "maybe she's not been doing it there, that's why she misses home.." I try to stifle my agreement. My mum is one person who cannot keep still for long. She needs to do things. She's like an ant.. small, but always busy. Guess that's why she's so bored in ol' laid back Canada! She should be in New York!
Oh well, the countdown begins. I'd better type my last few words and move my hands away from the keyboard and towards the new $30 mop I so proudly got when mum was away. Tonight I have a dinner with my ex-colleagues at Raffles Hotel. Haven't seen them for more than a year!
Good day to you, as the starfish steps down to be plain ol' Maria again...
No comments:
Post a Comment