05 December 2003

What a day - I'm taking a break!

Yesterday just didn't seem right. No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't get the website working. The java scripts decided not to work when I imported the navigation bars from Fireworks to Dreamweaver. The layout went all wrong when I adjusted the submenus, and I just could get the templates to work the way I wanted it to. You see, this is not just any other ordinary website. I have to plan for further expansion in the future, and so my design has to take that into consideration... It has to be user friendly for constant updating... The thought of the whole project seems like a mammoth task.. And I haven't even figured out the scripting for the automatic updating of the daily readings yet! And what about the database for the petitions... !!!

And so, yesterday, after ploughing through five thick books for solutions, I stared at my computer screen blankly. My brain didn't seem to function anymore. Like the website design, my brain was going all "wonky". I slammed the books shut, switched off my computer, and packed my swimming gear... I told myself I needed a break. And despite the cold weather, I bravely walked to the swimming pool, fuming away cos I was so angry I couldn't get anything substantial done. I thought I could seek solace from the laps.. I was wrong.

I was surprised the pool was so full at 3.30pm after a morning and afternoon's worth of rain. It seemed that like me, everyone else welcomed the shy sun as it peeked behind the thick cumulonimbus clouds. I swam two laps, then gave up. Kids and students on holidays and everyone else seem to be in the pool just playing with water! Doesn't anyone know that you are supposed to swim laps in a lap pool??!!! No... everyone else decided that the lap pool was for just gathering in large groups, splashing water at each other!! And so, I stuck myself at one corner of the pool, folded my arms in exasperation and sulked. I stared at the lifeguards as though I wanted them to clear everyone else in the pool. In my head, I was wondering why couldn't everyone just swim laps.. at the same time, I wondered if I had become more dumb. Why in the world could I not understand all the scripting? Frustration, frustration, frustration...After a while, the cold pool water cooled me down. Maybe I was just having a bad day.

By 5pm, the crowds cleared. I figured all of them must be preparing themselves for a BBQ or dinner.. Good. I swam for another 30 minutes or so before I realised my hands were all pruney. I must have soaked in the water for too long.

The cold swim and shower after did me good. I felt a whole lot better though when I got home, I still didn't want to look at the website. I busied myself watching the last episode of The Bachelor. I needed brainless shows to relax my tensed up brain.

I decided that I will give myself a treat today - I'd go shopping! I guess there's so much frustration in me, there's no point sitting in front of the PC, hoping that some miracle will happen. Hopefully, by tonight, I'd have made some progress. All I'm thinking now is planning my route from IKEA to Orchard Road. :)

I hope you had a better day than I did... and I hope you will enjoy your day today too!

No comments: