08 December 2003

The wrist is better

Thanks to all of you who were concerned about the wound on my wrist. It's really much better today. The swell has since gone down, and the wound's a nice flat hole. I protect it with antiseptic plaster for sensitive skin. I figured if you're injured, you might as well dress up your wound neat and nicely. I even got a waterproof plaster to paste over the plaster when I bathe, or wash the dishes. It helps keep the wound dry.

I guess some part of me must have wanted in be a nurse. I find that I have a natural ability to dress and treat wounds nicely. I didn't have any formal training nor did I join any first aid uniformed group, but somehow I find that I am always dressing people's wounds and even knowing what to get from the pharmacy.

I remember years back when I was working in a cafe during the holidays. Someone cut her hand so bad, it was dripping with blood. The cafe was newly opened so they didn't have a first aid kit. I ran to the pharmacy, and grabbed antiseptic wipes, plasters, gauze, wool etc etc... Came back, applied pressure on the wound, washed it, cleaned it, applied some antiseptic powder on it and dressed the wound all up nicely. I did the same thing when the IKEA guy who came by to fix the cabinets in my room. He accidentally drilled onto his hand (silly man!). As I dressed the wound, I noticed there was a real big hole on his hand. He tried to act brave lah, but with that much blood oozing out, he really looked faint. I even made a hot drink for him. I think he was so touched he wanted to date me out! Ha!!! As you may have guessed, yes, I do have a real good first aid kit!

Yesterday was a good day. I managed to rollerblade with Wendy in the afternoon. She was feeling really lazy so it was good that I managed to drag her out of the home. I fell down once yesterday. It was painful but I just picked myself up and bladed on. Kinda what we should do with life, ain't it? When we fall, just pick ourselves up again and move on. Speaking of which, one of the philosophies in my life which I really got out of watching TV (who ever said TV's bad?) "Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."

TV - I managed to catch Law & Order (SVU) last night again. Good show as usual. Yesterday was a case about how a down syndrome girl was raped - and she didn't even know it cos the rapist (whom they eventually found out was the grocery stall owner who employs such girls) told her (and the rest of the girls he raped - and made them pregnant!) that it was just "exercise"! How sick can that get??!!! Ha! And I even managed to get my brother hooked onto the show now. I am so glad I have cable cos it means I can watch the show on Channel i on Sundays and on Star World on Tuesdays. :)

Some inspirational words that came to my head today....

As the birds chirp on a gloomy Monday morning
I am reminded that despite the troubles we go through
We should be like them
Without worries for the future
Nor regrets from the past
But with hope for today
That the sun will appear
From behind the clouds
And even if it doesn't
We are thankful
That we have today to live for.

Have a good week ahead!

No comments: