24 December 2003

What a weekend!

My mum's delayed flight
My mum's flight was delayed by 3 hours. So, instead of picking her up at the airport at 2355 on the Saturday, Grace and I had to sacrifice our sleep and pick her up at 3am at the airport. She had with her two huge luggage, a hand-carry and a harversack, plus some last minute duty free shopping. I wondered if she brought back the whole of Canada.

Of course, she was excited and happy to see us. Both of us on the other hand, were wondering if we could catch any sleep. Apparently not. As my mum unpacked bag by bag, she gave both of us a running commentary of what she bought, where she bought it from, how much it costs, and what a bargain she had. Then came the not so nice stories of being bored in Canada, and how frustrated she was, and how home-sick she was. She didn't quite get the hint when we both told her we needed to get to Priscilla's wedding the next day. All we could do was to sit there in the kitchen as she emptied her bags, and have the whole kitchen and living room strewn with clothes and foreign goods.

As the clock ticked away, I resigned to the fact that I was not going to get any sleep at all. I needed to get to Pris's home by 8am. Grace will be giving me a lift there, so we'd leave at 7.30am. That meant I had to start packing my stuff and get prepared by 6am. I looked at the clock - 5.34am. I said "Mum, I'm gonna catch 40 winks. Have to be up at 6am to prepare to get to Priscilla's wedding" "No, no", she insisted. "I still have some more things to show you." Oh well. How can you say no to your mum whom you've not seen for a month, right?

And so, Grace and I stayed with her for a while. My eyes could not take it anymore. "Bye mum" I said. "I need sleep. I'll be at Pris wedding the whole day." "Aiyo, so poor thing", she sympathised. Grace and I went to the room to sleep. I kept the lights on as I knew if I had them switched off, I'd oversleep.

I was awakened by a "click". Mum had switched off my room light. I looked at the clock. 6.05am. I needed to be up. I asked my mum why she switched off the light. "No, lah.. Go, go sleep properly." "No, mum. I have to be at Pris's home by 8am. I have to get up now". "Aiyo - so poor thing. I didn't know." I rolled my eyes in exasperation in my head. Didn't I tell her???!!!

Oh well.

Priscilla's Wedding
I must have been on an adrenalin high cos I was fully awake throughout the day. Lee Yee and I had a fun time making fun of Roy - asking him to create a love poem in Mandarin, and having him eat lemons. Martin was such a dear best man. Helped Roy gobble up almost he whole lemon! Then we moved on from place to place for the tea ceremonies, and finally to the hotel.

I was tasked with saying something about Priscilla at the eleventh hour. Martin thought I'd be the best person to speak. I was shocked, excited, honoured, and really having a mental block. I had only about an hour to think of what I was going to say. A quarter of my mind wanted the bed badly, the other two quarters were planning the logistics of things for the dinner that evening. The last quarter was wondering what to say. I could only think with a PC in front of me, so I called Grace to bring her laptop down. I'm so thankful she did. I don't think I'd be able to come up with anything if I had to rely on plain ol pen and paper!

And so, I gave my little "speech" after the solemnization. Priscilla was surprised. She thought I was going to "sabo" her. But I nearly made her cry. She said she was glad I stopped, or she'd have... Damn! If I had known a day earlier I had to speak, I'm sure I'd make her cry!!

The wedding was really beautiful. Simple and elegant. Two long rows of close friends and loved ones feasting on beef and fish at Chijmes. Roses, cinnamon sticks and pretty ribbons were all part of the theme of the wedding. Everyone was relaxed and mingling with each other. Soft laughters were heard, and smiles were seen at every corner. Dim orange lighting complemented the flickering flames from the gold and white candles. All these against the background of jazz music. Awww... what could have been better? I guess what made it all beautiful was that I was sharing in the joy and love of two beautiful people.

I had a bad gastric attack during the wedding, and so was not able to savour the food. (What a waste!!). And so after the dinner, after downing two gastric pills, I headed with Wendy to the nearby 7-11 for a hot cup of milo. She bought nachos, which we brought back to the hotel room at Raffles the Plaza (Wendy booked the room), sat at the balcony, ate and spoke til my eyes couldn't take it no more. I finally succumed to the nice fluffy pillows at 2.30am.

The morning after
I woke up the next morning feeling sick. My throat felt sore. I could feel the undigested nachos in my stomach still. I felt feverish, then I started to sneeze. Wendy and I went out for breakfast at Purvis street. I was downing lots of water and green tea to "cool" myself down. But it didn't seem to work. So, after that, I went to the nearest pharmacy where I got a pack of decolgen.

When we went back to the hotel, the sun was peeking through the clouds. That made Wendy a little happier - she could tan. I chased her to the pool, while I downed two pills with lots of water and headed back for the bed. I must have slept for less than half an hour when I was awakened by the sound of my vibrating phone. It was mum. She was on the way to the hotel. I must have been really sound asleep cos I missed three other calls and two messages. I still felt sick.

Pris and Roy came over soon after to collect their "money bag" which I kept for them. Mum decided to update them with the latest "news" from Canada. I was in a daze. The decolgen was beginning to set in... Maybe the lack of sleep as well. I was zoning out.. All I thought of was sleep.

Pris and Roy left for lunch and mum decided to go shopping. I finally got some sleep. The two hours of sleep I had was good. I felt much better after I woke up. Wendy came back from her tan and spa. After a bath, we both went out for lunch. I must have been really hungry or really greedy cos I ate lots. When I reached home after we checked out, I was still hungry. Ate another two peanut butter sandwiches before leaving for my Spanish class.

Spanish Class
When I signed up for the class, the girl told me that the tutor is a charming man. I didn't expect him to be young as well - and eligible? Hmm... OK. Enough said. Spanish class was fun although my head was still heavy from the cold and effects of decolgen. Hola Amigo! Over two and a half hours, all 12 of us in class made a fool out of ourselves as we tried to grapple with the new language. Too bad I'd be in Sydney for the next two lessons, so I'd have to revise on my own and see less of the tutor! Cute guy!

What a weekend... I am tired. But it was all worth it cos I feel happy.

My doctor
I saw my doctor again today. He's back from his leave. He looks happy. He said I'm all OK. He checked my aching wrist and said it's probably a strain. He doesn't recommend I go rock climbing though.. He also said he'd be having his own clinic soon and will let me know when he does. He took down my email address. I walked out of the clinic a happy girl. I don't know why. I just feel happy.

It's just past midnight. It's officially Christmas Eve now. I have a dinner at my granduncle's home tonight. Mum's going to surprise them cos none of them knows she's back yet. After that, Grace, my mum, bother and I will go for midnight Mass.

Christmas is coming, and I just love it!

Merry Christmas.. or as they say it in Spanish - Feliz Navidad!

No comments: