This was the "speech" I came up with at Priscilla's wedding. I had less than an hour to prepare it... I think I'd done better with more time, probably even make Pris and Roy cry! :)
Good evening, family, relatives and friends of Priscilla and Roy. It is an honour and pleasure to speak about Priscilla to all of you this evening.
I have been friends with Priscilla since Primary One. Til today, I cherish the fond memory of the day when our Primary One form teacher, Mrs Goh, partnered the both of us together as we were of the same height. From then on, we were like peanut butter and jelly, or fish and chips – almost inseparable.
And though we went on leading our own separate lives after secondary school – I went to the junior college, and Priscilla to the polytechnic – me to NUS, and Pris to Sheffield U, we still kept very much in touch. And though we may not have met as often, we remained close at heart.
But enough said about us. Let me speak a little more about the blushing bride tonight.
When I think of Priscilla, I think of a woman of patience, kindness, humility and subtle strength. She has never failed to be a friend to me in my time of need, or just lend a listening ear. Over the years, I have learnt a lot from her, through her advice, and by her example. Of course, I have also never failed to envy her beauty – long eye lashes, perfect porcelain skin, lanky legs, silky black hair…and the list goes on. In my heart, I told myself – whoever marries her will be a real lucky man.
And so, when Priscilla broke the news to me earlier this year that she was going to marry her first love, Roy, I could not conceal my joy for her. I have seen them look at each other in the eyes when they were dating, hold each other’s hands, speak softly and lovingly to each other – I could see that they were very much in love with each other. If anything, I saw that Priscilla was the most comfortable, and most herself when she’s with Roy. Indeed, if I could boldly say it, I think they brought out the best in each other.
Roy told me one day, when we were preparing for their wedding, that it was a dream come true for him to marry Priscilla. The tone of his voice told me that he really loved her, and that he would cherish her for the rest of his life.
And as I see them take their wedding vows today, I smile as I see the happiness and love in their eyes. They have embarked on a new journey together, and I wish them both all God’s choicest blessings from above. I know and believe with God showering his love over them, together with their love for each other, they will lead a fulfilling married life.
Priscilla – I now take a bow out of the platter of fish and chips, or in the peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and take on the role of a side dish instead. Because you and Roy now make up the perfect classic combination of champagne and caviar – and I couldn’t be happier.
Congratulations, Roy & Pris – I love you both!
No comments:
Post a Comment