Yes, I am back from Bangkok! Besides burning a big hole in my pocket shopping and shopping and shopping, I have also gained a few pounds from all the good food! And guess what? Straight from the airport, my mum, Grace and I went straight to Still Road to get some good pepper crabs. I wasn't a tad hungry but for some reason, I downed a whole big plate of hor fun and vegetables... where did that appetite come from?
Wendy was a great travel and shopping partner.. We browsed and walked and walked and walked... Everything seemed to tempt us, especially at The Loft at the Siam Discovery Centre.
I explored the Pratunam area with her too, and when we were at the market, it rained cats and dogs. Stuck, we decided to roam around the area. For a whole good hour, we learnt what bad fashion was. For once in my life, I actually felt nauseous looking at the rows of gaudy, loud and distasteful material cut into the most outrageous designs. I felt suffocated looking at mannequins dressed in fushia pink chiffon dress decked with matching sequins. What were they thinking? Yet again.. maybe it would be useful at Patpong.. I don't know...
MBK renovated their food court, so it was a real dining experience there. Wendy and I were craving for good Thai Tom Yum Gung, and there we found it! Although the sausage in the soup didn't quite fit in, but the broth was good. Ask for chilli padi if you want it hotter! And to down the fire caused by the chilli, order the Lemon Frostie... Heavenly!
Dragon Seafood Restaurant just before the Pratunam area didn't fail me again. I went there with Pris the last time I was there, and I got myself a 15% discount off the total bill. Ask for anything grilled. It wouldn't fail you. Our sotong was just heavenly with the green chilli and lime leaf sauce. The fried garouper with chilli sauce was also yummy! Pad Thai there was passable, tho the tau geh and cashew nuts made it somewhat more special. The place seems to be doing well cos they now have a whole new building on the opposite road!
We were hunting for good breads and pastries too... and here's the verdict. Head for the Amari Watergate Hotel. The chocolate chip macademia nut cookies are really really good. And they come packed in a nice metal tin that makes a perfect gift for anyone. The brownie is heavenly too. Ask them to warm it up for you... The chocolate will then just drizzle down the sides.. combined with the cashew nuts at the top, I think I just found a new definition of sin! The make great sandwiches (yes, you can order what you want in your sandwich too!), apple strudle and a whole lot of other yummy mousse cakes. We just loved the way the cut the loaf cakes into think one inch slices.. Looks really good!
The Oriental Hotel has set up four shops around Bangkok selling their pastries too. You can't miss it - It looks so Harrods! I tried the brownie for 80 baht. It's so nicely packed in white wax paper and sealed with a gold sticker, and they even give you a nice olive green paper bag to carry your slice of brownie in... And the brownie's so addictive! They sell nice fruit cakes and breads too!
Novotel at Siam Square where we stayed in also has nice pastries and breads. The pizza just looked so good when I saw it at the showcase this afternoon. Pity we had to leave for the airport already, or I think I'd have tried it! Pris and I really enjoyed the warm chunky fries they serve there! And our hotel also serves up a mean buffet spread for breakfast! Western, Asian, Japanese... you name it, they have it! Was really spoilt for choice!
Fruts are in season.. Lychees, rambutans, pomelos, pineapples, .... Really yummy - and very very cheap too!
Didn't manage to trod down to Chinatown and the Pahurat area, but Wendy and I did lots of walking in the all famous Chatuchak Weekend market. Had a swell time bargaining. I managed to get really nice papers for wrapping presents - and it was really cheap! Bought my 90 baht tops from the SUCCESS shop again... Got a top in my previous trip last year, and it was good, so I was replenishing my stock!
Hey Pris, guess what? The cashew nut shop that we were trying to hard to find the last time? Well, I found it!!! It's really at one corner! Managed to get a nice back cushion for my brother too. He's happy I got him so many things... :)
My biggest splurge - a custom made bustier dress in 100% Thai Silk from Jim Thomson. I'm not naming prices here, but it's my most expensive buy in my life. But I think it's worth it. I really loved it. Now, I'll corss my finges and pray that it'sll come to me in about 3 weeks' time.. and that it'll fit! My mum said I can keep the dress for my wedding... Wah... she's really thinking far! :)
Boots - I can never leave Bangkok if I don't go to Boots. It carries a real good range of toiletries imported from UK, and it's really cheap! I got nice sample sized body scrubs, essential oils, and all my mum's Loreal stuff from there. I just love that place!
And... I can never recommend any other massage place better than Chang's. The last time I was there, the branch beside my hotel was the only branch. Now, they have 4 shops scattered over Bangkok... They even have one in the airport. I had my favourite foot massage, which is totally cool after a long day shopping!
That's my Bangkok trip... yes, I still do love Bangkok and all the shopping. My mum is thinking of asking me to bring her there again, since I seem to know that place so well... We'll see!
Oh - and I do recommend Valuair. It's cheap, it's good, they have a nice funky crew, not to mention meals on board (and they come packed in nice cardboard boxes that serves and clears food away really swelly fast! The captain that we had was a nice tall man who came into the cabin to talk to us actually, instead of from the cockpit. At the end of the speech, the whole plane clapped for him!
Back in Singapore, and though Bangkok was great, there is nothing quite like the comforts of home, the sweet taste of PUB tap water, the great singapore sale, and my family and friends back home.
Glad to be home. Right now, I need to catch up on some ZZZZZs, and start on a light diet tomorrow.. All the good food has made my stomach go bonkers!
Starfish... OUT!... but will be back!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment