I met up with a bunch of friends last night. We were supposed to get into some night spot with free tickets, but the crowd wasn't quite our type. So we ended up some other place instead, and laughed over corny jokes and an exchange of Hainanese phrases.
As I sat at the table, I realised how small the world was. Our group got together because I was connected with each of them in some way, and they in turn connected with some other people in some other way. There was this guy at the table which was a friend of one of my friends. We spoke and got to know each other better, and it turned out, he knew another friend of mine!
It was great meeting up with a friend of mine whom I've not met since last year. His world has changed since I last met him, and I realised that we haven't been catching up. Perhaps it was too noisy last night to have a decent coversation to know what was happening in his life, although I knew he was in the midst of changing jobs. I could see that he was a changed person, probably because of the friend of mine whom I introduced to since I last met him. I felt happy to see them together, and at the same tme, a feeling of fulfilment crept in me. It was the same feeling I had when I decided to leave NUS. It was a feeling of "I've been here and did what I needed to do. It's time for me to move on."
As I looked at my friend, I understood why we came into each other's lives some six years back. Seeing him and my other friend together, I had a feeling of "Now, it's time for the both of you to move on together in your journey, as I take my gradual leave." Just like I had taken a step to be the side dish of mushy peas for Pris and Roy, I find myself doing the same for these two friends of mine. I almost could hear myself saying like a proud parent, "You're on your own now."
I find myself in this scenario over and over again. I enter someone's life, make a difference, then leave. But as I make my exit, I leave a trail of foot steps, so that even I am not seen, that someone will know I am still there.
It leaves me to wonder about my teaching career. Three years is the timeline I'm given. I feel I am in this line for a reason. I find that as I teach my kids, I am helping them spread their wings to fly. One day, I'd like to see a flock of eagles in the sky, soaring high without fear. Perhaps when that happens, I'd smile to myself, and say it again, "You're on our own now. It is time to take my leave and move on."
I realise that friends come in and out of my life along life's journey. Some stay longer than others, some create bonds stronger and deeper than others. But I treasure every moment I have with each of them, because I know they have come into my life for some reason. And if reason should not show itself to be at that point in time, all I do is to enjoy the moment, do what needs to be done, and live life's journey. I could almost hear someone shout Carpe Diem! at this point in time.
Yes, seize the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment