25 March 2004

Feeling like a teacher already!

My CT told me I was beginning to get the hang of things. Today, I had a nice chat with her about lessons, about scolding, about being fierce in class, and even threatening with detention! She shared with me about how long her day will be, and how much things more she had to do. Maybe, in a way, she was glad that I was there to provide all the materials for her other Sec 3 class - and to relieve her of one English class, plus all the marking.

Today, I administered the CPA test that I had painstakingly designed for my Normal Tech kids. They said I sounded so serious, it was as if they were in a formal exam. My CT looked through my paper and said it may too tough for them. I told him we had to prepare them for the real thing at the N Levels. It's good to start right now. He agreed with me, and we decided to throw them to the deep end, and see who will sink, and who will float. I'm almost halfway done with the marking already (cos we all have a deadline of submitting in marks for the month by month's end!). I'm glad that most of them are floating! An achievement considering they didn't even bring the textbook home to study! But yet again, my other trainee teacher, Victor, and I reckoned that even if they did, they'd probably not even touch it!

And today, I learnt from my CPA CT, that the autistic guy in my class is also suffering from ADHD! He grabbed my hand today and dragged me to his PC and forced me to teach him how to do his test! Good thing I got some tips from my counselling tutor back at NIE on how to deal with autistic kids.. Now, I've got to ask her how to deal with the same kid that has ADHD as well!

The HOD of PCCG came to my table today and apologised for the short notice, but I may have to accompany the Sec 3s to their 5 day camp at Kota Rainforest the week after. She said the VP chose me of all the NIE trainees. Come Monday, I will know if it's confirmed that I'd be spending one week with some 300 15-year-olds in Malaysia. It'd be a real experience! Am wondering if I'll be allowed to climb up the mountain with the kids... :)

My Sec 3 English class disappointed me this morning. Not only were they not ready for the class, they did not prepare their presentations even after being reminded yesterday. One by one, I questioned those who were not prepared with a whole series of "WHY?" Why didn't you do prepare? Because I didn't get the book. Why didn't you get the book? I didn't know where to get it. Why didn't you know where to get it? Silence. Why are you silent? (Evil...) I felt like I was the wicked witch of Harlem! Anyway, I praised those who prepared, and made the rest who didn't write me two essays - one on the book they were supposed to review, and the other on "Why I didn't do my book review". They are to hand me the essays by tomorrow or all of them will be sent for detention!

After class, I singled out two girls. I spoke to them and told them that I expected more out of them. I told them that I could see so much potential in them in the way they participated in class. But I just could not condone their lack of responsibility in not handing in their work on time. I told them they should not be in the lower end class cos they are capable of greater things.

I don't know if what I said sunk into them, but at least I know I have begun to take the first step to change their mindsets. I want them to know that there is someone out there who believes in their potential, and hopefully, they too will realise the potential in them.

Slowly, I am picking up more starfish and throwing them into the sea. Some may swim back to the shore, but I will turn back and throw them back in again. Tiring as it may be, it is fulfilling to know that I am taking baby steps to making that difference. Like what my mum always says, "Little drops of water make a mighty ocean".

One day, I will get my ocean! :)

No comments: