I probably had the best Valentine's Day yesterday. No - no hot dates, no chocolates, no roses, no cramming with the rest of the love birds in Singapore in the heart of town. Instead, I was on a mission.. well, maybe a little more than one.
Jeff had wanted to propose to Wendy yesterday. And so I came up with an elaborate plan, that had me going to their new home at punggol early in the morning. After mopping up the floor just so it sparkled a little more, I made my way down to Clarke Quay to collect two bouquets of flowers which I had ordered earlier - one for Wendy, and the other for my brother's girlfriend (shhhh.. it's supposed to be a secret!). I rushed back home to meet my brother and passed him the flowers, before rushing out again to Wendy's new home, left the flowers there, switched on the air-con and left the room freshener on. Then I layed out the picnic mat, scattered the rose petals from the door to the mat, and littered the path that formed with tea-light candles. I layed out the red cutlery, and even tied the utensils with olive green ribbons - Wendy's favourite colour. :) Then I rushed back to town to get the food.
With pizza, chicken wings, beef pie, a box of Thos SB truffles, wasabi macademia nuts, and pink dolphin mineral water, I grabbed a cab and rushed back to her flat. I layed everything out nicely, plugged my MP3 player to the speakers my brother lent me, and left the music running, hoping that when Wendy walks in, her favourite song will be played. Oh well, I loaded up a few of her favourite songs in the player, so hopefully, at least one will be played when she walks in. I lit the candles, sent an SMS to Jeff to tell him my mission was completed and headed home.
On the way back, Pris sent me an SMS, inviting me out for dinner at White Sands - "Let's eat ice-cream" she says. And so I met Roy and Pris for dinner, feasting on rodeo wings, some 49er sandwich, garlic pita bread, and "Topless Five" ice-cream.. which was supposed to be just 5 scoops of ice cream without topping.. But we wanted the topping! So we had hot fudge on top of the "topless 5" ice-cream. How ironical, right?
I had a great time with Roy and Pris, and was really glad they spent their Valentine's Day with me. We talked and laughed, went to NTUC to get groceries, then came back to my place where Pris brutally smashed a lizard that was lurking in my kitchen (and I am so traumatised cos I saw the whole "murder"). Roy got rid of the dead lizard and the murder weapon. What was so hilarious was that Pris just smashed the lizard repeatedly with the box that used to hold the aluminium foil, and then ran off! It was a case of "hit-and-run"! Then my mum decided to knock on my neighbour's door to see if they were selling their flat, so that Pris and Roy could shift in! So there we went.. Never underestimate my mum.. She can make friends with anyone!
Over at Punggol, Wendy was pleasantly surprised and touched by the gesture. Of course she accepted the proposal, but she wasn't surprised I did most of the work.. Hey, but at least that man made an effort right? Even if it was "Eh, so you want to marry me?" (Arrghh... so much for telling him it's supposed to be "Will you marry me?"). Ah yes.. now we can call Jeff Wendy's fiance. :)
I enjoyed every moment of the day yesterday, but the one thing that struck me was the conversation I had with the cab driver from town to Wendy's home. He was very eloquent when he spoke. He was telling me about the hype of Valentine's Day, and about his three daughters, and their boyfriends, and about love and relationships. Then he asked if I were married. No, I said. Seeing someone? No, I said. Why not? he asked. I don't know, I answered. You're so pretty and eloquent (*blush*) he said. Thank you, I said. You must be fussy, he said. I don't think so, I said. I think men just get intimidated by me. I said. Don't wait too long, he said. Make sure you get someone within 2 years ?Huh? I was thinking....
He continued with the story of his daughter, and about her boyfriend, and about how dumb men can be these days. I smiled... During the conversation, he found out that I was helping Jeff propose to Wendy, hence the food. Awww.. that's so nice of you, he said. Thank you, I said.
It wasn't too long before we reached Punggol. Thank you very much, he said. I had a very nice time talking to you. Me too, I said. Have a nice day. You too, he said. Don't worry, girl, he said... Someday, somebody's gonna do this for you.
I thanked him and made my way up the flat. His words rang in my ears as I prepared the food for Wendy and Jeff. Lots of people have told me this before, but somehow, I was touched when he said that. I had a good feeling in my heart. Somehow, I think it will come true. :)
My Valentine's Day... being single on this day isn't so bad after all!
No comments:
Post a Comment