I've been so much into my assignment these days that I can't help but think about how my students will be when I finally meet them come 1 March. I guess I am acquiring more information than necessary because I feel a need to understand them better.
As I read all the changes that they go through - cognitively, psychologically, socially, emotionall and physically, I wonder how I ever went through that phase. With theories and research, it seems that the adolescent is indeed difficult to understand. What's worse is that not all of them develop together at the same rate. Some mature faster than others. There is a period of awkwardness since they are neither here nor there - not a child, not an adult. They are creating an identity for themselves, yet they need to assimilate themselves in society. Doesn't sound like an easy task to me.
And so, armed with pages of information, I have explanations as to why teenagers act the way they do. When I get to class come March, and if I see a flying chair coming in my direction, I'll duck and keep my cool. Psychologists have explanations for that act. And counsellors have action plans as to what to do to control that anger. I can handle the situation Sounds easy? Somehow, I think not.
My heart thumps as I think of the practicum. What ifs fill my mind. I wonder if I can handle the students, churn out lesson plans and be creative at the same time. I wonder if I can build rapport with my students. I wonder... But wondering too much doesn't help. So I take a deep breath and think positive.
No comments:
Post a Comment