05 May 2004

Cherishing Life

This morning, I skipped the morning assembly and stood close to Joanne in the staff room as she fought back her tears. Whilst the both of us stayed in the staff room, the whole school was listening to her story through another teacher. You see, Joanne's cousin passed away yesterday.

He was scheduled to undergo a brain operation after doctors found out that there was a growth that needed to be taken out. It was a risky procedure, but doctors were sure he would make it through, considering his youth. The operation was a success and doctors had even made arrangements to have him transferred out of ICU into the normal ward. But things took a turn for the worse within hours. He lapsed into a coma and soon was pronounced brain dead.

He was just 19 years old with a full life ahead of him. He had just completed his project at Ngee Ann Polytechnic and was presented with the Tan Kah Kee Award by his lecturer prior to his operation. In the hospital, despite his brain condition, he aspired to do something about his project, perhaps even sell the idea when he got better. He was optimistic, and enthusiastic. He was not a natural bright spark, but his perseverance and enthusiasm for learning brought him to where he was. Even before his condition turned for the worse, his last request was to sit for his exams.

Joanne asked me this morning - Why is God so unfair? Why didn't He give her cousin a chance of a longer life, to learn what he wanted? Why was his life short-changed when he had so much he could do ahead of him? Why him? She reflected on the students we teach and if only they had the same amount of enthusiasm in learning. Perhaps, they do not realise the opportunity that is presented to them all these while. Perhaps, they have failed to cherish life, and cherish what they have.

Thinking about Joanne's cousin got me reflecting on my life. Have I done enough with my life? If today would be my last day on earth, would I have done enough? Have I cherished all that I've got? Have I said my thanks enough, or have I made my peace to those I have hurt? It got me thinking that life is too short, too unpredictable for me to push things til tomorrow what I can do today. It is too much of a mystery for me to plan as though I will be able to direct life as I please.

And so, I begin to understand more fully the meaning of carpe diem, about living life to its fullest, about taking opportunities, and about cherishing life.

Like me, teachers and students of HIHS were touched in one way or another through the story of Joanne's cousin. It got them thinking, like it did me. And though his life has passed, I think he'd be glad to know that he has touched the lives of many, and will continue to do so by his example in his living years.

Think about Joanne's cousin. Then think about your life. What have you done?

No comments: