19 May 2004

My back

Back from the hospital with a whole load of painkillers, and two jabs. The pain hasn't subsided, but at least I am more mobile now.

The doctor at the polyclinic referred me to the hospital after the jab they gave me didn't work. In fact, it made it more painful, and for a moment, I stood in the middle of the waiting room writing in pain. Tears just flowed down my cheeks as I realised I couldn't even slide my feet forward to move anymore. Any movement I made just triggered the pain further at the lower back.

As the nurses and paramedics transferred me from the wheelchair to the stretcher, I endured more pain. They had to lift me by my shorts as I could hardly move by myself.

I endured more pain at the A & E Ward when the doctor went through with me again the same process to test that my reflexes were OK. I found myself repeating the same things I said to the doctor at the polyclinic. Pain...

X-ray. Yet more pain as I was asked to move from the bed to the cold X-ray table. I felt helpless. I reached out to any hand that offered support for me to move from place to place. My doctor said in a chuckle. "You look like a baby". I guess so. Helpless like a baby... and maybe just as cute? :P

No fractures - the doctor told me after examining the x-ray films. He wrinkled his forehead, wondering what caused the pain. He told me if the pain didn't subside after another injection, he'd have to admit me in cos he couldn't rule out me having a slipped disc.

No - I didn't want to stay in the hospital. I'm supposed to be canoeing with my NIE mates tomorrow! And so, when he visited me again and asked if I could sit up, I rolled over with all my might, bit my lips to hide the pain and sat up. Then I stood up. Then I walked. The pain was half as bad, but bearable.

"Guess I don't have to be admitted?" I asked him.

As I am sitting in front of my PC blogging, I thank God that it wasn't anything too serious. Yes, I limp when I walk, and hold my back like a pregnant woman. My mum has kindly lifted things I needed to above the waist level so I don't have to bend down. I'm hoping the pain will subside over the next few days. I'd be bored staying at home!

Well, the good news is that I don't have to get down to NIE on Friday for more talks! :)

No comments: