19 May 2004

A Twisted Back

I must have twisted my back somehow last night. I recalled moaning in pain when Wendy called me passed midnight. I thought I could sleep the pain through and it will be OK this morning. Well, guess I was wrong.

I felt paralysed when I awoke. I had to take a full 10 minutes to figure out and contort my body just to get myself up from the floor to my feet. Even that, I was writhing in pain. With every step I took, the pain magnified 10 times to the lower back. For a while, I just stood still, wondering if that would be the best thing to do.

I woke mum up, much to her shock. From my face, she knew something was amiss. I told her about the pain. She whipped out her back brace (mum's got a back problem too), and tightly secured it around my waist. It felt better with the support, but it didn't ease the pain much.

As I lowered myself to sit on mum's bed, tears welled up in my eyes and rolled down my cheeks. I've never felt so much pain for so long. Suddenly, flashes of what ifs cloud my mind. What if my life was like that forever?

OK, a little melodramatic, you may say. But really, what if?

I have begun to walk more since three hours ago. I figured I'd better keep the limbs moving lest I really become immobile. I have decided to be my own physiotherapist, forcing myself to endure the pain as much as I can as I make little efforts to push myself further to bend a little, stretch a little, push a little.

I'd be going to the doctors soon. Slowly, I will walk there. I figured at the snail's pace I'm taking to walk, I'd reach there just in time - in an hour - for the polyclinic to open.

I'm hoping it's nothing more serious than a strained back that can be treated with a jab or some pain killers. But in any case, should I be hospitalised, will someone bring me a laptop so I can do work? A T-shirt design is due....

Will keep you updated after my visit to the docs. In the meantime, I shall leave and take my snail's pace there.

Hope you're having a better start to your morning! :)

No comments: