09 May 2004

So much happening!

Wow! I didn't realise I haven't been blogging for 4 days! And to think so much things have been happening in my life!

Friday marked the end of my practicum at HIHS. Got treated to a little party by my Sec 3 Integrity class, the class that drained me all so much. The made me a nice card, in which they penned down their little messages.. "Sorry for making you cry, Ms Chew" "Sorry for sleeping in your class" "You are a great teacher" "Ms Chew rocks!"....

Us trainee teachers organised some food for the staff of HIHS and went around with gifts and cards, thanking the P, VP and teachers who have been so nice to us during the 10 weeks there.

As I began to clear my table and drawers, a sense of relief came over me. Yes, it's finally over. That will be the last time I will be seeing my desk which I had occupied for the last 10 weeks. When I return, it will be to the new school at Punggol. I'm just hoping that I'd see my fellow trainee teachers back at HIHS too. I've grown used to seeing their faces, I think I'll miss them loads if I don't see them when the new term starts!

Friday nite was spent at M Hotel for a charity party. Highlights include meeting up with Chen Ying and Pam again after so long, and of course spending time over jokes and laughs with old friends.... Oh yes, the charity auction.. I pooled in contributions from my friends, and managed to bid a date on behalf of my friends, a CLEO bachelor for the price of $180! But since all of them are attached, they have passed the date to me! Now, I have a date with Vernon Bay, voted Bachelor with the Sexiest Attitude in the latest CLEO Eligible Bachelor contest.. Nice guy.. Spoke with him for a while.. Man, he's got a winning smile! Thanks, my friends, for your generosity that nite!!

Another highlight was the lucky draw... Wendy, Chris and I had wanted to leave for our very delayed dinner close to midnight when we realised that Wendy had bought two cards for the lucky draw. We decided to stay back and wait, and see if lady luck was smiling on us that night.. And yes she was! We won not only a CD soundtrack, but also the top prize of a weekend stay at the M Hotel worth over $700! Before the last card was drawn, Wendy pushed her Queen of Hearts to me, and said, "This one belongs to you". After I collected the prize, we both hugged each other. It was a symbolic victory in more sense than one.

The night ended late.. really late. After supper at Oscars- yummy steak and fish and chips, we headed over to Kopitiam for more coffee and dessert. By the time each of us reached home, it was close to 5am. Wendy couldn't sleep so we continued our coversation on the phone. In between, I received an SMS from a dear friend, thanking me for the night, and saying that he was almost home. I smiled as I read the message. When we waved goodbye to each other, I had wanted so much to say "send me an sms when you reach home so I'll know you're OK", but for some reason, I didn't. So it was almost telepathic when he did. That's called rapport, Uncle Joel will tell me...

Yesterday, I got up early, got fruits and headed to Tan Tock Seng Hospital to visit my CT. She had a surgery done to her finger that was injured by some accident at home. It affected the nerves, and so teh surgery was quite a major one. She was surprised to see both Joanne and I. The three of us exchanged teacher stories, and laughter. I was glad we were able to spend time with her... I really do admire my CT.. A real gutsy woman with two kids, and looks and behaves like ten years younger than she actually is! And did I mention she's really cool?

I must have been really tired after I met Wendy in town later in the day. We had lunch at Cafe Cartel.. Ribs and lots of bread! When I came back, I downed my dinner and slouched on my papasan chair with "The Joy of Cooking" in my hands. When I woke this morning, I had the book in my arms. Did I sleep that long?

Today's Mother's Day. It will be spent with mum... Food again, what else?!

Monday, I will meet all my NIE mates again. What a joy! Chen Ying said I had put on weight... Yes, I have.. Too much good food lah! :) Well, I wonder if any of my NIE mates are in the same boat as I am! And I can't wait to exchange all the stories about our kids too!! Can't wait!!

:)

No comments: