I finally plucked up enough courage to sign myself up for salsa classes. Well, I did so only cos Grace and Wendy promised to go for the classes too. So, today, when Wendy sent me an SMS to say she couldn't go, I had ready a million and one reasons why I shouldn't go for the class. Grace had sent me a message the previous night to say she had sore eyes. I had a feeling she couldn't make it too. Thoughts ran through my head - I'd be alone, I'd be a klutz, I'd be totally lost... I started to imagine a class full of young people with solid bods dancing in beat while I struggled with remembering the steps. But I took a deep breath, and I told myself - NO! I have to go for it!
Wendy could make it for the class at the last minute - hurray! But as expected, Grace couldn't. She gave us a lift to the dance studio and told us to have fun... And fun we did have! Max told us earlier that footwear for salsa classes was heels with straps, so there we went, with three-inch heels. Guess what? We were the only ones with those heels! Everyone else were in flats! I felt cheated at first, but I soon realised that it was much easier to do the twists and turns with heels.. You look much more graceful too! My classmate from junior college was supposed to be the instructor, but she couldn't make it today. So, her dance partner taught us instead. He was really good at leading. I made it a point to partner him always during the class cos with him leading so well, I don't really need to remember the steps! Ha!! I had a fun time even though at some points, I was really a klutz... Even got the instructor amused! What the hell! I am there to learn, right?!! Now, Wendy and I can't wait for the next lesson, and maybe even go to some place to practise the steps we just learnt. Salsa anyone?
My mum left for Canada yesterday. I'm beginning to miss her already. Last night, before I slept, I felt something missing - her presence. She'd usually come back from work to tell me what happened at work. She'd relate everything - from what she did, what she said, who she saw... it was almost a ritual. I used to call it the "10 o'clock news". Last night, there wasn't any news. There was silence instead.
Mum not being around means I am 'Acting Domestic Minister' - i.e. acting full-time Maria, but with spending power. Yesterday, while most of my friends were out on hot dates or holiday, I was at Carrefour comparing prices of butterhead lettuce and pushing my way through a crowd of mostly aunties and uncles in less fasionable wear. I left Carrefour with four big bags of groceries, and the call of the durian seller ringing in my ears.. "Lai liew lian liew lian.. mai yi song yi... lai liew lian liew lian..."
Today, after dance class, I continued my grocery shopping at NTUC. After not cooking for so long (thanks to NIE!), I was suddenly at a loss of what to cook for my brother for dinner for the coming week. I finally settled on an Italian menu of pasta with snow peas and black pepper sausages, and maybe a side dish of baked potatoes... I think my brother will love that. It's time for me to experiment on all those recipes again! Tuesday, I will be cooking risotto for Wendy too.. Maybe make lagsana.. how about grilled bell peppers, aubergine and mushroom, laced with balsamic vinegar and herbs? Hmm... the cook in me is alive!!
As I sit here typing away, I feel happy. Happy that I went for the salsa class, happy that Wendy went with me, happy that my brother's in a better mood, happy that a friend of mine is happy, and happy that I have come to terms with my emotions with Mark. I think it helped that he kept his word about keeping the friendship as it was. Hugs to him for that!
It's time for me to work on the project I have been putting off - the website for the Jesuits. Fr Heng just called me - it's a sign for me to start on the work - OK, Deborah... stop procastinating and start working!! When I complete the project, I'll invite you all for a visit at the website ok? :)
Before I leave you, I'd like to share with you an email from Grace 1. In the email, she said, I wonder you know, why God plopped me into ur life and vice versa. I wanna ask him wat kinda plans he has in store for us? I wondered too. We have not met since we left secondary school. What reason was there that we should meet all of a sudden? Like her, I think God had a plan, and like her, I wished I knew what it was. But that is the way life is sometimes. We are faced with uncertainties and mysteries. We do not always understand. But amidst the current mystery, I am thankful. Thankful that God plopped her into my life. There must be a reason, Grace. We don't have to know what it is at the moment. We just have to enjoy the continuation of our friendship now. Thanks for re-visiting my life again! :)
And to all my muslim friends... Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!!
No comments:
Post a Comment