29 October 2003

Of Relationships

I just realised that Pris posted her blog just 5 seconds before mine. Talk about telepathy. For those of you who don't know, Pris and I have this "freaky" thing going on between the both of us. We often think alike, speak alike, and even dress alike. Some of our little quirky habits are also alike, not to mention the mood swings and crankiness! And the freaky part of it is that we don't influence each other. That's just the way we are. Guess our primary one teacher kinda knew that and made us partner each other in school.

Pris got me thinking about relationships again. I do agree that communication is the key. Lots of times, misunderstandings occur because of the lack of communication. We keep things to ourselves and expect our partners to know. Then we start assuming and presuming based on what we think the situation is, making it even worse. But as some of you may realise, open communication is not easy if both sides are not equally open. If one wants the other to be open, then he or she should be equally open to admitting their faults and apologizing. It takes two to clap.

But yet again, some things just happen within a short span of time. People change. Preferences change. Habits change, we cannot deny that. But people are also flexible to adapting to change. I guess relationships are about giving and taking. It involves a mutual exchange between two individuals. It is a partnership. It's like a dance. If one moves, and the other doesn't, it'd be hard to dance. And so to dance together, both will have to move and anticipate each others moves, and accommodate to these moves.

I was for once a commitment phobic. Now, once in a while, fear creeps up in me when I think about a relationship. Like Pris, I asked myself if relatioships would really work. Past experiences don't help much. I've seen and experienced my fair share of infidelities. It's a hard reality to know that my future partner may just be like that. But I forced myself to put those past experiences aside, and live in the present. I don't let the past nor the future hold me back from wanting to love and spend the rest of my life with someone else.

And so Pris, what I want to say is that we cannot tell for sure if relationships would work. Some do, some don't, and it's a whole plethora of reasons why they do and don't. Some say opposites attract, some say there must be common ground. Couples work their way through thick and thin, while others just call it quits. We don't know why. But we should not be discouraged by what we see or hear, because each one of us is special, and when two special people bond together, there can be nothing else that can duplicate that bond. The same goes for you and your guy. Both of you are special and the bond you have is special. We cannot tell for sure what the future holds for both of you. You just have to "dance" togther in your marriage, and from what I see, I think both of you are doing pretty well.

Fr Fenelon once asked us - why do we worry so much about the past and the future when we are in the present? God's gift to you is the present. The future is His plan - something He's in charge of, not us. Our past is but a backdrop for the present. Live then, in the present, and enjoy all you can. And know that whatever happens in the future, you have a friend walking with you always :)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

No comments: